School of Music and Dance Spring 2018 Graduation Ceremony
Saturday, June 16, 2018
Beall Concert Hall
Students will check in no later than 2:30 in Rm 173 for line up and instructions.
Faculty will assemble in Rm 167 at 2:30.
If you did not RSVP. Do so now, BEFORE JUNE 1, 2018. Your tickets will be made available on a first come first serve basis from June 4 to June 7, 2018. Because you missed the first RSVP deadline, you will not be able to claim your guests' tickets until June 4, 2018. You will be allowed 3 tickets like the early-birds, and then on June 8, all remaining additional guest tickets will be open to all graduates on a first come first serve basis.
- Admission is free with a ticket.
- Tickets are NOW available only to graduating students who completed the early-bird RSVP.
- Early-birds RSPVs can claim their tickets between May 15 through June 1, 2018.
- Tickets must be claimed through the UO Ticket Office either in person or online, tickets.uoregon.edu | 541-346-4363. HAVE YOUR 95# READY.
- Tickets must be claimed by the graduating student.
- Tickets are limited to 3 per student.
- After June 8, the remaining tickets will be available on a first come first serve basis to everyone who needs additional tickets.
- Tickets claimed after June 8 are not guaranteed to be seated together.
- Tickets are assigned seats.
- On the day of the ceremony, any tickets not redeemed 15 mins. before the ceremony starts will be released on a first come first serve basis to anyone without a ticket.
- If someone is late, and their ticket is reassigned, they will be invited to watch the ceremony in the overflow seating area where the ceremony will be live-streamed.
- Overflow seating will be located in Thelma Schnitzer Hall (room 163).
- Doors to both Beall Concert Hall and the overflow room are scheduled to open at 2:15 p.m.
- SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS SEATING must be arranged by speaking with David Mason directly.
Eligibility to Participate
You may walk in the ceremony if you have (1) already graduated in Fall 2017 or Winter 2018; applied for your degree for Spring 2018; or will graduate in Summer 2018 and (2) submitted an online RSVP by the June 1, 2018 deadline. Spring graduates who have not completed these two steps may not walk in the ceremony and will not receive a diploma cover. The Beall Concert Hall ceremony lasts approximately 90 minutes. (Summer Commencement: Contact the Undergraduate or Graduate music offices if you will be graduating in the summer. You may walk in either spring or summer ceremonies.)
Online Forms for Graduating Students
- If you did not RSVP by the May 11, 2018 deadline. Do so now, BEFORE JUNE 1, 2018. We need to know if you will or will not attend the SOMD ceremony.
- If you miss this deadline, contact the Music Undergraduate or Graduate offices or the Dance Department.
- RSVP does NOT guarantee seating for family and friends. For that you need to claim tickets through the ticket office between June 1 and June 7.
Students should check in no later than 2:30 p.m. in room 173 of the Frohnmayer Music Building. Once checked in, students should organize themselves within these groups: Dance UG, Dance Master's, Music UG, Music Master's, Music Doctoral. Faculty will assemble in room 167. Everyone is encouraged to wear regalia.
Performers will file in with other graduating students in alphabetical order. Check in with David Mason before lining up. Additional instructions may be provided in room 173.
All degree candidates are encouraged to participate wearing regalia: gown, cap, tassel, and hood for doctoral and master's degree candidates; gown, cap, and tassel for bachelor's degree candidates. Regalia, including honor cords for students graduating with honors, are available at the UO Duck Store at the beginning April. UO Duck Store will host Grad Fair where all graduates will be able to shop for all the items they would need for graduation! Regalia must be ordered by the last week in April for early order special pricing. MORE INFORMATION
Doctoral candidates will be hooded at the Beall Hall graduation ceremony at 3 p.m., not at the main Matthew Knight Arena commencement celebration on Monday. Hood color for DMAs, MA/MS in Music, or MFA in Dance is pink. Hood color for all PhDs is dark blue.
PLEASE NOTE: there will not be a professional photographer at the ceremony. Guests of the graduating students are welcome to take photos on a rotation basis while a graduating student is receiving congratulations from the Dean of the School of Music and Dance. An area near the stage will be designated for those guests who wish to take photos. Photographers are asked to move in and out quickly so that all may have the opportunity to photograph their graduating students. Please do not block the view of seated audience members.
A reception will be held immediately following the 3 p.m. Beall Hall graduation ceremony on the west lawn of the Frohnmayer Music Building. Students should make arrangements to meet their guests outside on the lawn.
Official diplomas are mailed approximately six weeks after graduation to the address listed on the Application for Degree form. To receive a spring degree, all materials necessary for the degree must be on file in the Office of the Registrar before the deadline.
Awards for Excellence
Graduating music students chosen by the faculty will be acknowledged and receive awards for excellence as they cross the stage at the Music and Dance graduation ceremony. Dance Awards are presented at Spring Loft at 8 p.m. in the Dougherty Dance Theatre on Friday, June 8, 2018. Family and friends are welcome. Dance awardees will also be acknowledged at the June 17 ceremony.
The University Awards Celebration details will be announced soon. No tickets are required, but in order to get a head count, please RSVP to the Office of the Dean of Students at (541) 346-3216 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Graduates also will be honored in a photo display in the Bailey lounge and on the School of Music and Dance website. If you have been notified that you are receiving a SOMD award but are unable to attend the commencement ceremony, please let us know where we can send the certificate of honor (email@example.com).
Beall Concert Hall Disability Services
Guests who need wheelchair-accessible seating or other easy-access seating in Beall Hall, or who would like an assisted listening device for the 3 p.m. ceremony, are asked to call or email David Mason, (541) 346-5679, firstname.lastname@example.org, by June 1 to make arrangements.
Alcoholic beverages are not permitted at the ceremony. No food or drink is permitted in Beall Concert Hall.
For more information about the School of Music and Dance graduation ceremony, call (541) 346-3761.
University of Oregon Commencement Ceremony
Monday, June 18, 2018
Matthew Knight Arena
Students and faculty will gather for line up at 13th Avenue and University Street in front of the EMU at 8:15 in regalia for the University of Oregon ceremony. Starting promptly at 8:45 am, the Duck Walk to the Matthew Knight Arena will begin. For more information on the main University of Oregon Graduation Celebration Ceremony or other general information, call (541) 346-3216 or visit the UO Commencement website.
Distinguished Alumni for 2018