Frequently Asked Graduate Music Admission Questions

What previous academic work is required?

Any student who is admitted to a graduate program in music at the University of Oregon must currently possess the equivalent of a baccalaureate degree. Certificates and diplomas from music conservatories are not equivalent to baccalaureate degrees. Baccalaureate degrees include a substantial amount of work in general studies such as science, social science, humanities, and the arts.

Is it possible to be admitted to a graduate music degree program if my undergraduate degree is not in music?

Yes. Any student admitted to graduate studies in music, but does not have an undergraduate degree in music, must take the Graduate Entrance Exam in Music Theory and Musicology. This serves as a diagnostic tool for the Music Theory and Musicology areas to determine any necessary remedial course work in these areas. The remedial course work will be mandatory, and may include graduate and/or undergraduate courses as assigned.

Are applications only accepted for Fall Term, or is it possible to apply for other terms?

Applications are accepted for Fall Term only.

Are applications accepted after the December 10 deadline?

Consideration is given on a case by case basis. If you think you have an exceptional case, please send your explanation in an email to

Is it possible to apply directly to the doctoral program if I have a bachelor’s degree but not a master’s degree?


Is it possible to complete my graduate studies as a part-time student?

Yes. However, for a master's degree, the UO Graduate School requires that a minimum of thirty credits (applicable to degree requirements) be taken on the Eugene campus during at least two terms of study. Doctoral candidates must complete at least three years of full-time graduate level work beyond the baccalaureate degree, of which at least one academic year—the residency year—must be spent in residence on the Eugene campus.

All music graduate students must maintain continuous enrollment (a minimum of three graduate credits each term, excluding summers). However, you are entitled to apply to be on leave from your program for a maximum of three terms.

What are the school and department codes for the GRE?

The school code is 4846. The department code is 2404.