Many MUJ- and MUS-subject courses satisfy general-education group and multicultural requirements. For a complete list, see the registrar's group-satisfying and multicultural courses chart. Course descriptions are available in the music catalog.
Note that as applied to general-education groups, MUS and MUJ are considered the same subject code.
All of the SOMD's Music Ensembles are open to nonmajors. Ensemble auditions for fall term take place during Week of Welcome. To inquire about winter and spring term auditions, students should contact the ensemble instructor directly. Note that some ensembles require a full-year commitment.
Ensemble repeat limits for nonmajors:
- MUJ 390-395 = May be taken seven times
- MUS 391 = May be taken seven times
- MUS 394 = May be taken seven times for a maximum of 7 credits
- MUS 395-397 = May be taken ten times for a maximum of 20 credits
The following beginning-level group classes require no placement audition:
- MUP 100 Basic Performance Piano (Class Piano)
- MUP 101 Basic Performance Voice (Class Voice)
- MUP 102 Basic Performance Strings
- MUP 103 Basic Performance Woodwinds
- MUP 104 Basic Performance Brass
- MUP 110 Basic Performance Classical Guitar
- MUP 120 Beginning Guitar I
Students interested in taking beginning level wind or string instruments should contact the instructor directly, or the head of that instrumental area if no instructor is listed.
Intermediate & Advanced Level:
Private lessons are available to nonmajors for all instruments and voice on a space-available basis.
Pianists and singers with some classical training or experience may begin at MUP 131 and MUP 140, placement auditions for which typically take place during the first week of the term.
For all other instruments, interested students should contact performance faculty prior to registration to arrange a placement audition. This level placement will determine in which course number (i.e., MUP 154) the student should enroll.
MUP repeat limits for nonmajors:
Per UO General Limitations, non-music majors may earn a maximum of 12 MUP credits. Within this subject code limitation, the following repeat limits apply to individual courses:
- MUP 100 = May be taken three times for a maximum of 6 credits
- MUP 101 = May be taken three times for a maximum of 6 credits
- MUP 102 = May be taken three times for a maximum of 6 credits
- MUP 103 = May be taken three times for a maximum of 6 credits
- MUP 104 = May be taken three times for a maximum of 6 credits
- MUP 110 = May be taken three times for a maximum of 6 credits
- MUP 120 = May be taken three times for a maximum of 9 credits
- MUP 127 = May be taken two times for a maximum of 4 credits
- MUP 163 = May be taken three times for a maximum of 6 credits
The SOMD is offering audition-based, non-music major scholarships for participation in specific ensembles to ensure the pedagogical success of these ensembles for music majors as well as to increase campus-wide awareness and involvement in SOMD programs.
Each scholarship will be worth $600, and will be credited to the student’s UO account. Each
scholarship is renewable for up to three quarters within a single academic year with a
minimum course grade of “B” and good standing status within the ensemble.
Scholarships are open to both undergraduate and graduate students, though priority will be
given to undergraduates.
Auditions will be held during Week of Welcome and then prior to each quarter thereafter.
Qualifying ensembles are UO Symphony Orchestra, Oregon Wind Ensemble, Oregon
Symphonic Band, Oregon Jazz Ensemble, University Singers, Chamber Choir, and UO
Gospel Singers.For more information contact Associate Dean Michael Grose.