Both the School of Music and Dance and the University of Oregon offer a variety of graduate employee positions, scholarships, and other forms of financial aid.
A number of graduate employee (GE) positions are available on a competitive basis. GEs are awarded for one academic year at a time. Recipients teach, perform, or assist with School of Music and Dance activities in a variety of areas. Our GE packages include a monthly salary, 9-16 credits of free tuition per quarter, and health insurance program coverage (as well as subsidized health insurance premium coverage for dependents). For more information about GEs visit the GE Orientation Webpage.
GE positions are awarded in the following areas:
- Athletic Bands
- Collaborative Piano
- Conducting: Choral; Orchestral; Wind Ensemble
- Eugene Symphony Orchestra (ESO) (Violin, Viola, Cello)
- Intermedia Music Technology
- Jazz Studies
- Music Education
- Musicology / Ethnomusicology
- Music Theory (Qualifying Exam Required)
- Performance: Voice; Violin (separate from ESO GTF above); Viola (separate from ESO GTF above); Cello (separate from ESO GTF above); Piano; Saxophone; Trumpet; Tuba-Euphonium
- Violin/Viola Pedagogy
- Piano: (performance, collaborative piano, piano pedagogy, opera accompanist)
GE Requirements for Non-Native Speakers of English
Non-native speakers of English who accept Graduate Employee positions must take a test evaluating their English speaking ability. One of the following tests and minimum scores will be accepted.
- Test of Spoken English (TSE): 50; or
- Internet Based (IBT) TOEFL Speaking Score: 26; or
- International English Language Testing Systems (IELTS) - Academic Module Speaking Band Score: 7; or
- Speaking Proficiency English Assessment Kit (SPEAK): 50 (must be taken at the UO)
Students who score below the minimum scores must attend language support classes and may be subject to limitations on the kinds of activities they may carry out as a GE. The TSE is available at many TOEFL testing sites. If a TSE score is not submitted before arriving on campus, the student must take the SPEAK test administered at the University of Oregon prior to the first term of GE position.
Non-Music GE Opportunities
There are other university GE opportunities that are open to all majors. Deadlines may vary. Visit the website of the UO Graduate School for a list of current GE openings in other UO departments.
The School of Music and Dance has a limited number of scholarships available for graduate students. Students who complete all application requirements (including auditions for performance applicants) by the posted deadlines will be automatically considered for awards available in the intended area of study. No further application is required.
General University Scholarships
General University and Diversity Excellence Scholarships are available to graduate students. These scholarships are generated by gifts to the university, and recipients are selected by the University Scholarship Committee. Visit the UO's Scholarships for Graduate and Law Students webpage for more information.
Grants and Loans
Work-Study and Employment Opportunities
International Student Scholarships
Each year, the UO awards over one million dollars in financial aid and scholarships to international students. Visit the UO Scholarships and Financial Aid for International Students webpage for more information.
Learn about other scholarships through the UO Find Other Scholarships webpage.