1939 (School of Music)
New faculty and Dean are as follows:
- Theodore Kratt, 1939-1962, Dean of School of Music (see Deans of School of Music for credentials) deceased 1962
- Vinton Snyder, 1939, 1940 (Trombone).
1938-1939 (School of Music)
Added to the part-time staff:
- Margaret Allen, 1938-1940 (Oboe, Bassoon).
- Dorothy Louise Johnson, 1938-1940 (Violin).
- Mayo Sorenson, 1938-1940 (Flute, Saxophone).
- Alvin Templer, 1938-1939 (Trombone, Euphonium).
1937-1938 (School of Music)
Substituting for John Stein who was on sabbatical:
- Doug Orme, 1937-1938 (Band) University of Oregon B.S. (1932). Comuncia University M.A. (1940). Orme was Director of the Eugene High School Band and Orchestra at that time.
1936-1937 (School of Music)
New member of the faculty:
- Hal Young, 1936-1942 (Voice).
1935-1936 (School of Music)
New to the faculty:
- Louisa Youngs, 1935-1937 (Music). Michigan B.A. (1924), M.S. (1940).
1934-1935 (School of Music)
- Howard Halbert, 1934-1936 (Violin).
- Loren Luper, 1934-1938 (Trombone, Euphonium). Member of the National Trombone Hall of Fame; former performer with Arthur Pryer Band, Patrick Conway Band, Columbia Symphony and New York Philharmonic; 1933 to 1945, Director of the Albany High School Band.
- Blanche W. Riley Roberts, 1934-1940 (Piano Pedagogy). American Conservatory of Music, Chicago (Diploma 1932).
1933-1934 (School of Music)
Paul Petri, 1933-1939, joined the UO staff as a part-time teacher of Voice. Petri was Chairman of the Music Department and Choir Director at Oregon State College from 1924 to 1947.
1931-1932 (School of Music)
New faculty joining the School of Music staff:
- Doris H. Patterson, who later became Doris Calkins (Harp), 1931-1974 University of Oregon (B.M.).
The Catalog listed the following faculty and the fee charged for lessons. The faculty received 95% of the fee with the University retaining 10%. Faculty received no other salary.
1 per wk
2 per wk
Evans, John Stark
$30 Per lesson
$55 Class Lessons
Bryson, Roy (voice)
The 1931-1932 Catalog included courses and faculty for the entire State System of Higher Education. The Dean of the School of Music was given authority over all music departments in the state system. The following information was given for Oregon State College at Corvallis:
The courses in music at Corvallis are service courses for students in the various major curricula of the college. No degrees or diplomas are conferred in music. Music is recognized at the college as fundamental value in the development of personality, enriching the life of every man or woman who learns to appreciate it. The faculty in music has been selected with great care, numbering among its members musicians of the highest rank.
- O.S.C. Musical Organizations: R.O.T.C. Band, Orchestra, Glee Club, Madrigal Club, Mandolin Club
- Courses: Applied Music, Theory
- O.S.C. Faculty: Lillian Petri (Piano), Paul Petri, director of Music Department (Singing), Byron Arnold, B.M. (also Music History, Theory) (Piano & Organ), Albert Creitz, B.M., orchestra director (Strings), Florence Bowden, B.A., (Strings: Cello, Violin, Mandolin, Guitar), Captain Harry L. Beard (Band and Wind Instruments)
1930-1931 (School of Music)
The executive secretary of the School of Music, Gladys Hay, began her association with the school in 1930 and continued in that position until 1948.
William Pingry Boynton (Ph.D.) Professor of Physics and John H. Mueller (Ph.D.) Professor of Sociology were both listed with their respective departments as well as with the faculty of the School of Music from 1930 until 1933. Boynton taught a course in the physics of sound called Acoustics of Sound. Mueller taught a course called The Social Aspects of Art and Aesthetics.
The School of Music now consisted of eight departments: Piano, Voice, Organ, Violin/String Instruments, Wind Instruments, Public School Music, Structure of Music, and History of Music.
Four music degrees were offered by the University: B.A., B.S., B.M. and B.M.E. The B.A. and B.S. were taken in the College of Literature, Science and the Arts. The B.M. degree was taken in the School of Music. The B.M.E. was taken in the Schools of Music and Education.
Scholarships were listed as follows:
Through the generosity of the faculty; Mu Phi Epsilon Scholarship; The Phi Beta Scholarship; The Juilliard Foundation Scholarship