1919 (School of Music)
New staff members:
- Leland A. Coon, 1919-1923 (Piano, Organ, Glee Club). Alfred University (B.A.) 1914, New England Conservatory 1914, Pupil of Henry Vincent, Conrad, Alfred De Voto, Louis Elson and Samuel Cole.
- Albert Lukken, 1919-1920 (Voice, Glee Club). Fremont College (B.S.) 1911 American Conservatory of Music, Chicago 1913-1915. Pupil of F. W. Rost, Charles W. Clark, David Bispham, and Karlton Hackett.
- Martha E. Findahl, 1919-1920 (Voice). Graduate of South Dakota University 1917, American Conservatory of Music, Chicago. Pupil of Karlton Hackett.
- Ross Hickernell, 1919-1920 (Wind Instruments, Band). Dana Musical Institute, Warren Ohio (B.M.) 1906, Northwestern University. Pupil of Bellstedt, Cincinnati.
- Rex Underwood, 1919-1947 (Orchestra, Strings). Leipsic Royal Conservatory of Music, Royal Bavarian Conservatory of Music. Pupil of Joseph Olheizer, Chicago, Hans Becker, Leipzic, Michael Press, Berlin, and Ostrovsky, London.
Aurora Potter, 1919-1921 and 1922-1949, who later married Rex Underwood (Piano, Structure of Music) University of Oregon (B.M.) 1921. Pupil of Edwin Hughes and Ethel Newcombe.
David B. Campbell (Piano) joined the Portland division of the School of Music
The catalog description of the University of Oregon states "An unusual opportunity is offered to members of the University Orchestra in the acquiring of technical and interpretive knowledge and experience through the rendition of high grade orchestral compositions of both classical and modern schools."
The war years decimated the ranks of the newly-formed concert band whose catalog description no longer mentions concert works, but now reads "Athletic contests, rallies and other student affairs."
Other organizations listed:
The Choral Society (singers from the city and the University); Men's Glee Club; Women's Glee Club; University Choir; Regimental Band (handled by the Military Department); University Orchestra
1918-1919 (School of Music)
- campus space committee formed recognizing the need for a separate music building
New faculty members:
- Eleanor Lee, 1918-1919 (Voice). Pomona College (B.A.) Pupil of Oscar Seagle of New York.
- Robert Barron, 1918-1919 (Orchestra, Strings).
- George P. Hopkins, 1919-1967 (Piano, Counterpoint, Composition, and Assistant Director of the Glee Club) Emeritus. Hopkins studied piano with Ernest Hutchinson and composition with Rubin Goldmark at Juilliard, and piano with Moritz Moszkowski in Paris and at the Peabody Conservatory of Music with Harold Randolph. He was invited to join the University of Oregon faculty at age 19 when John Landsbury was impressed upon hearing the young musician perform. He was actually faculty member and a student at the same time, receiving his B.A. from the University of Oregon in 1921. During his 48 years at the University of Oregon, he concertized extensively throughout the Northwest introducing many new works for piano.
- Anna Landsbury Beck, 1918-1943 (Public School Music, Structure of Music, Music History). University of Oregon (B.A.) 1918. Student at University of California, Simpson College, and Colorado Normal College.
A Band teacher's training course was established.
1917-1918 (School of Music)
John J. Landsbury became the new Dean of the School of Music. He served as Dean for 22 years until 1939, longer than anyone has served up to the present time (1994). deceased 1939
New faculty members:
- Arthur Faguy-Cote, 1917-1919 (Voice).
- John Stark Evans, 1917-1944 (Piano, Organ, Composition, Glee Club). Although appointed to the faculty for the 1917-1918 school year, Evans was "absent in the service of his country" until the 1920-1921 school year.
- Anna Landsbury Beck, 1917-1943 (Public School Music, Structure of Music, Music History). University of Oregon (B.A.) 1918. Student at University of California, Simpson College, and Colorado Normal College.
"A public recital from memory is required of all the candidates for the degree of Bachelor of Music." (Catalog)
Enrollment: 218 (enrollment by classes, so some duplication). University enrollment was 2,394.
A Portland division of the University of Oregon School of Music was established with Frances Streigel Burke, Professor of Piano as its chairman. Faculty members were: Abbie Whiteside (Piano); John Claire Monteith (Voice); Pauline Miller Chapman (Voice); Franck Eichenlaub (Violin); Susie Fennel Pipes (Violin); William Boone (Organ, Piano, Composition); Carl Denton (Organ, Piano, Violin); William A. Boyer (Public School Music)
1916-1917 (School of Music)
New staff members included:
- Jane Scotford Thacher, 1916-1947 (Piano and Piano Pedagogy). Pupil of Leschetizky, Vienna 1905. Thacher began a long association with the School of Music, retiring in 1947 and continuing as Professor Emeritus until her death in Eugene many years later.
- Howard T. Annett, 1916-1917 (Piano). Taught piano in the department for one year. He was called into service during World War I and did not return.
"Practice recitals are given weekly, giving every student an opportunity to play, and incidentally, affording him a larger knowledge of musical literature in all grades. Public recitals are given during the year." (Catalog)
"Ensemble classes (small groups of 3 or 4 violins, with or without pianos), are rehearsed once a week under the direction of Miss Forbes. The class is given graded compositions selected from the best classical and modern musical literature, and is given drill in sight reading techniques and interpretation." (Catalog)
Albert Perfect organized the first University Ladies' Band on the West coast. The 30-piece band existed until 1919.
1915-1916 (School of Music)
Joining the staff:
- Albert Perfect, 1915-1919 (Wind Instruments and Band). Perfect, a clarinetist, graduated from the Royal Academy of Stockholm, Sweden, and studied in Berlin. He arrived in the United States in 1904, teaching in Chicago and in North Dakota before coming to Oregon.
Although a short-lived city concert band, called the University Cornet Band, was organized using the University's name in 1878, it had no real connection with the University. University bands that existed prior to Albert Perfect's arrival were primarily pep and rally bands directed by students. In January of 1916, the University's first official faculty-conducted concert band was organized under the direction of Albert Perfect.
Ruth Davis, Instructor in Piano, also became the new School of Music Secretary.
Dean of Music, Ralph Lyman requested a building expressly for the music school
Mighty Oregon composed December 1915 in Eugene by Albert Perfect. Premiered January 7, 1916 by the Eugene Municipal Band at the new armory. Full title "Mighty Oregon March: The Tipperary of the West". The subtitle of “Mighty Oregon,” “The Tipperary of the West” belies its probable origins: trio section employs the same chord progression as the World War I marching song, It’s a Long Way to Tipperary. Words to Mighty Oregon written by DeWitt Gilbert (ca. 1896-1981), a University of Oregon journalism major. March 10, 1916, Perfect conducted the first University of Oregon performance of the Mighty Oregon March by the University Band in the Villard Hall auditorium. Newspaper accounts report it was met with enthusiastic response and several encores were given.
1914-1915 (School of Music)
- Dean of Music, Ralph H. Lyman requested a building expressly for the music school
New instructors this year:
- John J. Landsbury, 1914-1939 (Piano and Theory). Landsbury received his BA and Mus D. degrees from Simpson College in 1900 and 1909 respectively. Prior to coming to Oregon, he was on the faculty at Simpson College from 1900 to 1907, and Department Head at Baker College from 1907 to 1914. Landsbury's 25 years at the University of Oregon included 22 years as Dean of the School of Music.
- Frank V. Badollet, 1914-1923 (Flute). Badollet studied flute with Otto Oesterle in New York City. From 1895 until coming to Oregon in 1914, he had performed with such prominent groups as the Cincinnati Symphony, the Pittsburgh Symphony, the Minneapolis Symphony, the Philadelphia Symphony, and the U. S. Marine Band. He recorded flute solos and duets for the Berlinger and Victor Talking Machines. One of his early recordings is located in the University of Oregon archives. Upon leaving the University of Oregon in 1921, he resumed his performance career in Los Angeles where he worked with various theater groups and the Long Beach Municipal Band.
Jessie Farris added to her duties as piano instructor by becoming the new School of Music Secretary.
A new course is added. The catalog reads: "Special instruction in the difficult art of accompanying is given."
1913-1914 (School of Music)
Ralph H. Lyman became Dean of the School of music and served from 1913 to 1917. He received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Grinnell in 1907. He also taught Voice and directed the Men's Glee Club.
Joining the staff:
- Daise Beckett Middleton, 1913-1919 (Voice).
- Hermoine Hawkins, 1913-1916 (Piano).
- Ruth David, 1913-1919 (Piano).
- Jessie Farris, 1913-1918 (Piano).
- Rosa Coffey Powell, 1913-1917 (Public School Music).
- Mae A. Norton, 1913-1914 (Secretary of the School of Music).
Carl V. Lachmund continued to take a limited number of students at the University, although he now directed the Lachmund Conservatory in Portland. He returned to the campus four times during each term. Avis Benton also joined the staff at Lachmund Conservatory and returned to the University campus 14 times during the semester to teach piano students.
1912-1913 (School of Music)
Carl V. Lachmund became Acting Director of the School of Music this year. He served in this capacity for one year before opening his own private music school in Portland. He commuted from Portland to Eugene the second year to teach piano part time. (Deceased 1928)
Joining the staff this year:
- Winifred Forbes, 1912-1918 (Violin, Orchestra).
- Avis Benton, 1912-1914 (Piano).
Lesson fees: 1 lesson a week $18-$25 (1/2 hour), $35-$45 (1 hour); 2 lessons a week $35-$45 (1/2 hour), $70-$90 (1 hour)
Other charges: No tuition at the University of Oregon; Incidental fee $10 a year; Student Body fee $8 a year; Men's dorm $10 a year; Women's dorm $7.50-$15 a year; Board $3.50 a week
1911-1912 (School of Music)
Mary Goodbar Morgan became the Acting Director of the School of Music. On the staff since 1908, she also taught Piano and Theory.
Those who joined the staff of the School of Music this year were:
- David B. Campbell, 1911-1913 (Piano).
- Lila C. Prosser, 1911-1912 (Voice).
Summer courses were offered for teachers and supervisors of public school music and students of music
Preparatory courses were listed in the catalog with this notation: "Preparatory courses in Voice, Piano, Flute, Violin and Wind Instruments are offered from the beginning of music study for the benefit of those who have had comparatively little or no work."
Oregon's Boola Band continued under the direction of student cornetist, Maurice Hyde, who organized weekly practices. The small group sponsored several dances to raise money for music. They performed at pep rallies and athletic events.
1910-1911 (School of Music)
An additional department, Theory, was set up in the School of Music.
A new faculty member was added to teach Theory, Harmony and Piano: Ethel Rowland, 1910-1911
Public School Music continued to be offered by the College of Education. The music courses were taught by the School of Music.
The catalog listed the following music ensembles: University Glee and Mandolin Clubs (combined) directed by I. M. Glen; Girls Glee Club directed by Eva Stinson; University Band (under student direction); University Choral Society directed by I. M. Glen
School of Music enrollment: 209 (by class enrollment, so some duplication)
1908-1909 (School of Music)
New staff members included:
- Mary Goodbar Morgan, 1908-1912 (Piano & Theory).
- Grace E. Campbell, 1908-1909 (Voice)
- Ethel Evans, 1908-1912 (Piano).
- Nell G. Murphy, 1908-1915 (Piano).
This was the first time that the University Band was mentioned in the catalog. Known as Oregon's Boola Band, it included 12-15 musically inclined students and townspeople who got together for a few practices, then played for home football games and rallies. No director was mentioned. It is quite likely that they had no director or that it was student-directed.
Public School Music was offered for the first time. A 4-year curriculum was listed on page 188 of the catalog under the School of Education.
Three departments, Piano, Violin, and Voice, were set up in the School of Music
1907-1908 (School of Music)
- Irving M. Glen (Dean, Glee Club, Mandolin Club).
- Stephanie Schuecker, 1907-1908 (Piano, Theory).
- Katherine Ward Pope, 1907-1908 (Voice).
- LeRoy Gessner, 1907-1909 (Violin).
- Velda Quackenbush (Piano).
- Ina Watkins (Piano).
- Alberta Campbell, 1907-1914 (Piano and Instructor in English department).
Resources were found to return department chair's salaries to $2000 a year.
Enrollment: 162 (by class enrollment, so some duplication)
Piano (93); Voice (52); Theory (8); Violin (9)
1906-1907 (School of Music)
The salaries of all department chairs were reduced from $2000 a year to $1600.
New members of the faculty:
- Velda Quackenbush, 1906-1908 (Piano).
- Ina Watkins, 1906-1920 (Piano).
Professor Glen's teaching load consisted of the following:
Anglo Saxon, Beowolf (3 students)
English Literature (10 students)
Public Speaking (50 students)
Junior Oratory (16 students)
Senior Oratory (6 students)
Sophomore Oratory (23 students)
In addition, he served as Dean of the School of Music and Director of the University Glee Club.
1905-1906 (School of Music)
Enrollment: 105 (by class enrollment, so some duplication)
Piano (62); Voice (29); Theory/Harmony (10); Small Instruments (7)
Lloyd Bellman, 1905-1906 joined the staff for one year.
1904-1905 (School of Music)
Two piano instructors joined the staff:
- Ella E. McAlister, 1904-1907
- Abby Whiteside, 1904-1907. University of South Dakota (B.M.) 1900.
1903-1904 (School of Music)
Music facilities continued to be located in the university dormitory.
Irving M. Glen directed the Eugene Oratorio Society and the University Glee Club. Eva Stinson directed the Treble Clef singers.
The staff now numbered five instructors:
- Irving M. Glen, 1902-1911 (Dean, Glee Club, Mandolin Club).
- Arthur L. Frazer, 1901-1904 & 1905-1906 (Piano).
- Rose Midgley Hollenbeck, 1903-1904 (Piano).
- Eva I. Stinson, 1903-1907 & 1909-1913 (Voice, Treble Clef).
- Susie Fennel Pipes, 1903-1905 & 1909-1911 (Violin).
Enrollment: 93 (by class enrollment, so some duplication).
1902-1903 (School of Music)
Irving M. Glen, Professor of Early English Literature, became the new Dean of the School of Music. Glen graduated from the California School of Elocution and Oratory in 1889. In 1890, he graduated from the California State Normal School in San Jose, and received his Bachelor of Arts degree from the Elwood Conservatory of Music that same year. He began teaching at the University of Oregon in 1894 in the English Department, and received his Master of Arts degree from the University of Oregon in 1897. Glen began singing with the University Glee Club when it was organized in 1897, becoming in 1901 the Glee Club's second director.
Glen's salary as professor of English and Oratory was $1600 a year. Upon assuming the additional position as Dean of the School of Music, his salary was raised $400 to $2000 a year.Enrollment: 116 (by class enrollment, so some duplication)
The Eugene Oratorio Society of 160 voices performed Gounod's Redemption and Elijah.
1901-1902 (School of Music)
Irving M. Glen, Professor of Early English Literature and baritone soloist with the University Glee Club, assumed the leadership of the Glee Club. The Treble Clef, organized in 1900, continued to be directed by W. G. Nash and Marguerite Hansen. The all-women group limited its enrollment to 16 voices, as did the Men's Glee Club. Other organizations sponsored by the Department of Music and open to the community consisted of The Ladies Musical Club and the Eugene Oratorio Society.
1900-1901 (School of Music)
On February 2, 1900, Frank Strong, President of the University of Oregon, gave his annual Report of the President to the Board of Regents. Among his statements appeared the following:
"I have the honor to offer the following report. In the reorganization of the University, I have laid a broad foundation for future growth and progress. This has been done so that, no matter whether the growth of the University be fast or slow, no matter what course or department may have to be added or subtracted, the general plan of organization of the institution may not have to be altered for many years. On this account, I have proceeded slowly, taking advice from those qualified to give it. I am well satisfied, however, that the University ought to be reorganized on the following basis:
First: The preparatory school be made separate and distinct from the University.
Second: Graduate School
Third: College of Literature, Science, and the Arts
Fourth: The Industrial College (Engineering and Pre-Medicine)
Fifth: School of Medicine
Sixth: School of Law
Seventh: School of Music (from Board of Regents Minutes of Feb. 6, 1900)
Because no formal motion was made to approve or disprove President Strong's recommendation during this year or any of the following years, it has been assumed that these changes were considered to be put into effect by administrative edict beginning with the Fall 1900 semester. However, it is interesting to note that some of the University publications continued to refer to the new School of Music as the Department of Music for several years thereafter.
To add to the confusion, the following excerpt from the History of the University printed in each of the Catalogs from 1923 through 1977 is as follows: "The School of Music was organized in 1902, although a department of music has been instituted before that time." After 1977 no further mention of the history of the School of Music was made in the catalogs until recently. With no explanation, the historic date reappeared in the annual catalog as being 1900.
The Glee Club, consisting of male voices, toured Southern Oregon. The Treble Clef, the equivalent of a girls' glee club, of 16 members rehearsed once weekly under the direction of Miss Rita Hansen and W. G. Nash.
The Bachelor of Music degree was offered for the first time.
At the Board of Regents' meeting on February 6, 1900, the following appeared: "It is moved and approved that $250 be appropriated for the maintenance of the Musical Department."
Facilities were located in the south entrance of the university dormitory. The piano room had two pianos, and the singing room in the north entrance of the dormitory had one piano. The music library was in the Director's office, and included most of the standard works for piano, and the operas of Wagner and Puccini, Groves Dictionary, and the latest books on music by such authors as Henderson and Krehbiel.