1888-1889 (Conservatory of Music)
Miss Mary E. McCornack assumes the position of Director of Conservatory of Music. She holds a Bachelor of Science degree from the New England Conservatory of Music, and will teach Pianoforte, Organ, Voice Culture, Harmony, and Theory. She will be the only teacher in the department until joined by a second teacher in 1890. 36 music students were enrolled in the 1888-1889 school year.
Enrollment: 30 piano students and 6 organ students
University Catalog: Classes in Music History and Biography will be started from time to time. Monthly or periodical recitals will be given in the music rooms in the university by the pupils and faculty.
University Catalog 1886: "Things forbidden to students: to enter a brewery or saloon; to drink any intoxicating liquor while in attendance at the University or in any way to or from same, except on the prescription of a physician; to use a tobacco in any form while in the buildings or on campus; to carry concealed weapons; to use profane or indecent language; to attend skating rinks, public dances, and dancing clubs at any time during a session of the University; to stand or sit around the doors, or make any disturbing noise in the halls of the University buildings; to remain in rooms later than 11 o'clock at night at social gatherings composed in whole or part of students of the University; no one shall write, or mark, or turn down a leaf, in any book from the library.
Music graduation requirements:
Piano study (4 year's course)
Organ study (3 year's course)
Both complete a 1-year course in Harmony. Examinations are required to pass from one year to the next. (Course of instruction is listed in the 1886-1887 catalog on page 5)
Enrollment: (3 men and 45 women) 42 piano students and 6 organ students
Board of Regents minutes: "At a meeting of the Board of Regents in March 1886, the Chair of Music was established and Professor Coolidge elected to it. At present, the branches taught are Piano, Organ, and Harmony. It is expected in the near future to have a lady from the East who understands thoroughly the art of voice culture, to take charge of the vocal department, and if the needs are adequate, a professor of violin and other stringed instruments will be added to the faculty."
D. W. Coolidge, Professor of Music, Piano, Organ, and Harmony began the one-person department in 1886 with 31 piano students and 2 organ students (2 men and 29 women).
Tuition was $8 per 10-week term for 20 lessons in classes of 4; or $13 per 10-week term for 20 private lessons.
Salaries: Coolidge received 95% of the students' tuition fee; the University retained 10%. This formula was maintained for many years for all music faculty. No salaries were paid by the University to the faculty until the formula was changed in the 1930s. The Department chairs began to receive a salary in 1902 when I. M. Glen was paid $400 per year to serve as Dean of the School of Music. This was in addition to his annual $1600 salary as an English professor.