1870-1879

1876

The University of Oregon opened for instruction with a faculty of four men and one woman. At that time the city population of Eugene City was 1800. The University consisted of one building — Deady Hall which was constructed so solidly that founders joked that is was guaranteed for 1,000 years barring accidents. It was built in the center of an 8-acre wheat field on a slight elevation 1/2 mile from the center of town.