Gearhart was a member of the Chester Quartet in the early 90s, the Oregon String Quartet since 1998 and has since recorded numerous compact discs for Albany, Koch Entertainment, Centaur Records and Bridge Records. His 2014 release on Centaur Records, Music of a Lifetime, features the music of his father Livingston Gearhart. An active chamber musician, recitalist, soloist and composer, Mr. Gearhart collaborates with colleagues from around the USA and is embarking on his latest project – The Nexus String Quartet, which will perform its first concerts in 2016.
Currently a faculty member at the University of Oregon School of Music, Gearhart has taught at the university level since 1990, including previous appointments at East Carolina University and Indiana University at South Bend. Gearhart has been a featured clinician at music conventions and workshops for National Association for Music Education (NAfME) Conference, American String Teachers Association (ASTA), and National School Orchestra Association (NSOA), and has presented master classes at music schools all around the country, including Texas Christian University, Boise State University, Ithaca College, University of Oklahoma, Eastman School of Music, and the Hartt School, among many others. He is a frequent adjudicator, and was a judge for the National Fischoff Competition in 2008. Gearhart has been a featured clinician at several national conventions including ASTA in Detroit, Kansas City and Santa Clara, CA where he was also the featured chamber music coach. In addition to his many performing and teaching activities, Gearhart has also appeared as a guest conductor several string festivals around the country, including South Carolina All-State String Orchestra, Northern Virginia Honors Orchestra, Wyoming String Clinic, and All-City Strings in Salem, OR. Gearhart is currently on the summer faculty of the Marrowstone Music Festival in Bellingham Washington, and the Chamber Music Camp of Portland.
Gearhart received his Master's Degree and prestigious Performer’s Certificate from the Eastman School of Music where he studied with Donald Weilerstein. Earlier studies at the Hartt School included work with Charles Treger and members of the Emerson Quartet. Gearhart recently directed a ten-week study abroad program in Vienna, where he taught violin and chamber music, lectured about Viennese composers, and performed concerts in Austria and Germany including the famous Haydnhaus-Wien.
- OFAM Presents: William Grant Still, Fritz Gearhart, Oregon String Quartet, Victor Steinhardt - Koch International CD #7546
- Robert Casadesus: Complete Works for Violin ~ by Robert Casadesus, Fritz Gearhart (Audio CD) Koch International Classics - #7528 Audio CD / August 28, 2001
- Porter: Unpublished Manuscripts ~ Quincy Porter(Composer), Fritz Gearhart(Performer) (Audio CD) Koch International Classics - #7439 / August 18, 1998
- The Aaron Copland Collection ~ Aaron Copland(Composer), et al (Audio CD) Koch International Classics - #7608 / October 15, 1996
- American Violin ~ Aaron Copland(Composer), et al (Audio CD) Koch International Classics - #7268 / July 19, 1996
- Robert Fuchs: Phantasiestücke, Op. 117/Sonate, Op. 86/Trio, Op. 115 ~ Robert Fuchs (Composer), et al (Audio CD) Centaur - #2278 / April 23, 1996