David Riley is associate professor and director of accompanying and chamber music at the University of Oregon, where he joined the music faculty in 2004. He holds degrees from the Cleveland Institute of Music and the Eastman School of Music, studying with Anne Epperson and Jean Barr, respectively.
Dr. Riley has received rave reviews throughout the U.S. and Canada, including “Absolutely exquisite technique” (New York Concert Review), “A soloist’s dream, star quality, gifted and sensitive ...” (Billings Gazette). He has extensive experience as a professional recitalist, frequently performing at many of North America’s most prestigious venues, such as Merkin Hall with the New York Philharmonic Chamber Players, the National Art Gallery in Washington D.C., Weill Hall at Carnegie Hall, the Dame Myra Hess Series in Chicago, the Gardner Museum in Boston, the Phillips Collection in Washington D.C., the 92nd St. Y in New York City, Bellas Artes in San Juan P.R., the Ottawa Chamber Music Festival, and Salle de Concert Pollack in Montreal, among others.
In 2008 he performed recitals at the Kammermusikfest Kloster Kamp in Linfort, Germany, chamber music concerts at the Oregon Bach Festival, with Kronos Quartet cellist Jeffrey Zeigler at Lake Tahoe, and was a guest artist at Stanford University as a member of the new music ensemble Beta Collide. Riley has been featured on dozens of radio broadcasts throughout North America, including NPR’s Performance Today and Morning Edition, CBC National Radio, and WQXR and WNYC in New York City.
Recent awards include the 2008 Canadian Independent Music Awards “Favourite Classical CD” and “Best Music” at the 2007 Silver Wave Film Festival for performances of Beethoven, Ives, and Kroll on CBC Television. Along with violinist Jasper Wood, he received the 2004 East Coast Music Award ‘Best Classical Recording’ for a CD of works for violin and piano of Igor Stravinsky. Other violinists with whom Riley has concertized include Juyoung Baek, Jennifer Frautschi, Ilya Gringolts, Phillipe Quint, and Giora Schmidt, along with cellists Denise Djokic and Jesus Morales, and clarinetists Alex Fiterstein and Ricardo Morales.
- Sock Monkey, works of Marc Applebaum (Innova Records, 2008) with Beta Collide
- Oskar Morawetz: Complete Works for Violin and Piano (Centrediscs, 2007) with Jasper Wood, violin
- Bela Bartok: Chamber Works, Allegro Records - Endeavor Classics, Ricardo Morales, Clarinet & Jasper Wood, Violin/August, 2005
- Charles Ives: Works for Violin and Piano, Allegro Records - Endeavor Classics, Jasper Wood, Violin/January, 2005
- Igor Stravinsky: Complete Works for Violin and Piano, Allegro Records - Endeavor Classics, Jasper Wood, Violin/May, 2003
- The Maritime Violin (CBC Television, 2006) with violinist Jasper Wood and the Arthur Leblanc String Quartet; Maurice Andre-Aubin, director