Senior Instructor of Jazz History
Rock Music History, and Blues History
204 Frohnmayer Music Building
MS 1989, Interdisciplinary: Music, Education, and Ethnic Studies, University of Oregon
BMus 1981, Composition, University of Oregon
Carl Woideck is an instructor of jazz, rock, and blues music histories at the University of Oregon, where he began teaching in 1982. Woideck is also a professional saxophonist and longtime jazz radio broadcaster.
Woideck is author of Charlie Parker: His Music and Life (University of Michigan Press); the book has been translated into Japanese under the title Charlie Parker: The Man Who Created Modern Jazz. Woideck is also author and editor of The John Coltrane Companion and The Charlie Parker Companion (both Schirmer Books). He has also written compact disc liner notes extensively for the Verve, Blue Note, Mosaic, and Prestige labels.
Woideck’s research awards include grants from the University of Oregon, National Endowment for the Humanities, and the Institute of Jazz Studies. He has presented research papers at national meetings of the American Musicological Society and the Society of American Music.
- Charlie Parker : His Music & Life by Carl Woideck, Paperback - 300 pages (October 1998) Univ of Michigan Press
- Charlie Parker: His Music and Life by Carl Woideck (Hardcover - November 1996)
- The Charlie Parker Companion : Six Decades of Commentary by Carl Woideck(Editor) Paperback - 294 pages (December 2000) Schirmer Books
- The John Coltrane Companion : Five Decades of Commentary (Companion Series) by Carl Woideck(Editor) Paperback - 300 pages (December 2000) Schirmer Books
- The John Coltrane Companion : Four Decades of Commentary (Companion Series) by Carl Woideck(Editor) Paperback - 222 pages (August 1998) Music Sales Ltd