Nonmajor Music Experiences
GENERAL EDUCATION COURSES
Many MUJ- and MUS-subject courses satisfy general-education group and multicultural requirements. For a complete list, see the registrar's group-satisfying and multicultural courses chart. Course descriptions are available in the music catalog.
Note that as applied to general-education groups, MUS and MUJ are considered the same subject code.
All of the SOMD's Music Ensembles are open to nonmajors. Ensemble auditions for fall term take place during Week of Welcome. To inquire about winter and spring term auditions, students should contact the ensemble instructor directly. Note that some ensembles require a full-year commitment.
Ensemble repeat limits for nonmajors:
- MUJ 390-395 = May be taken seven times
- MUS 391 = May be taken seven times
- MUS 394 = May be taken seven times for a maximum of 7 credits
- MUS 395-397 = May be taken ten times for a maximum of 20 credits
PERFORMANCE STUDIES (MUP)
The following beginning-level group classes require no placement audition:
- MUP 100 Basic Performance Piano (Class Piano)
- MUP 101 Basic Performance Voice (Class Voice)
- MUP 102 Basic Performance Strings
- MUP 110 Basic Performance Classical Guitar
- MUP 120 Beginning Guitar I
- MUP 127 Blues Guitar I
- MUP 122 Funk Guitar
Students interested in taking beginning level wind or string instruments should contact the instructor directly, or the head of that instrumental area if no instructor is listed.
Intermediate & Advanced Level:
Private lessons are available to nonmajors for all instruments and voice on a space-available basis.
Singers and pianists with some classical training or experience may begin at MUP 140 and MUP 141, placement auditions for which typically take place during the first week of the term.
For all other instruments, interested students should contact performance faculty prior to registration to arrange a placement audition. This level placement will determine in which course number (i.e., MUP 154) the student should enroll.
MUP repeat limits for nonmajors:
Per UO General Limitations, non-music majors may earn a maximum of 12 MUP credits. Within this subject code limitation, the following repeat limits apply to individual courses:
- MUP 100 = May be taken three times for a maximum of 6 credits
- MUP 101 = May be taken three times for a maximum of 6 credits
- MUP 102 = May be taken three times for a maximum of 6 credits
- MUP 103 = May be taken three times for a maximum of 6 credits
- MUP 104 = May be taken three times for a maximum of 6 credits
- MUP 110 = May be taken three times for a maximum of 6 credits
- MUP 120 = May be taken three times for a maximum of 9 credits
- MUP 127 = May be taken two times for a maximum of 4 credits
- MUP 163 = May be taken three times for a maximum of 6 credits